Monday, September 18, 2006

Hitting the Road on our Anniversary



I read an interesting review of a book - can't remember the name or author - but is was about having a passion for things. And about how - if you're lucky - you can make an honest living at your passion. You may not get wealthy [ trust me!] but you'll have a good time.

The other point was that one should have competing passions, to keep things in balance. Motorcycle's WAS - for a long time - the only real passion. Music was a job. Running was for fitness. Motorcycling was the passion.

Over time, running and bringing the 'penguin" message to the greater running community became the passion and motorcycling sort of faded. It never really left. I just didn't have the time.

Well, I'm making time to find the time. This weekend, AFTER having spoken on Friday and Saturday and running the 1/2 marathon on Sunday, Jenny and I rented HARLEYS and went riding. And I mean RIDING!

The guy who rented us the bikes told us of a nice 40 mile ride that we could take. Yeah, right. We put over 300 miles on the bikes riding up the coast, into the hills, and back down US101.

As many years as I've been biking I've never spent a day on a Harley. It was - well - interesting. I understand the Harley mystique. Only one thing on the planet is a Harley and that's a Harley. I had a Road King. Jenny had the Heritage Soft Tail.

And since it was our anniversary weekend, it made it all the more special.

So here's to passion. And to competing passions. And to finding the balance.

No comments: