Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Home Run

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Not the baseball type. I mean running from home. After weeks on the road, in the air, and on the sea it was good to get out on my lakefront path again.

Jenny decided to run with me. For my "marathon" training she is going to run her easy days with me. Those days will be MY tempo - faster paced runs. I know. A weaker man would feel funny. But Jenny is a great runner and it's nice of her to run with me.

We did about 5 miles [GPS didn't quite work] using a run 10/walk 1 interval. It was challenging, but I got through it. My legs still feel like they're on the boat.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I paid today for the hard run yesterday. Today was supposed to be "cross-training", so what I'm doing is trying to improve my walking pace. I went out for an hour using a run 4/walk 2 interval but really focused on the "walk" part of the training.

From the first running step I knew that my legs were wasted, but using 4/2 I was able to run a solid pace while I ran and MADE myself walk about as fast as I could. If I'm going to get under 5 hours [which - to be honest - is currently under discussion. I'm thinking that 5:30 may be a more honest goal] I'm going to have to walk much faster than I do now. The only way I know to improve is to train. So, I'm "training" to walk faster.

John

ORN: Tuesday, June 27, 2006: 5 miles, 55 minutes, 10/1 "tempo" run
ORN: Wednesday, June 28, 2006: 4.5 miles, 60 minutes, 4/2, recovery pace, fast walk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! Andy and I were running on the Lake Michigan coast path on Tuesday!! We spent two days at the Peninsula Hotel (fancy) before going to see my parents and go to Andy's cousin's wedding. I hope we can come to the next cruise/marathon. My mom has had a hard time recovering from bilateral foot surgery and my dad isn't doing so well either. Just trying to keep the old spirits up!! Glad to see you are both doing so well!!
Cheers!! JoAnn Ellero (Alaska cruise 2004)