Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Training Affect

A couple of years ago one of the participants in Jenny's winter 1/2 marathon training program came up to me and said: "Hey, this training actually seems to work." She was able to run/walk farther, sometimes faster, and in general was seeing marked improvement.

What SHOCKED me was that the woman was a doctor! A doctor! And it had never occurred to her that her body would react well to cautious increases in mileage and speed.

On my timed run yesterday, along my favorite lakefront path, I noticed that I was going a lot farther than I did just a few weeks ago. I felt as silly as that doctor. I forgot that training WORKS.

So, I'm encouraged. I'm a little stiffer than I'd like to be but my "training" has been consistent and it seems to be paying off.

John

ORN: Monday, June 12; 44 minutes, 10/1 plus 5 min w/u and 5 c/d.

1 comment:

Steve Pang, M.S., L.Ac. said...

Yeah, well... no matter who you are or what you(re) train(ed) in, for most of us it's easier to see limitations as part of our function or potential. It's great when someone becomes open to the idea that limits are moveable.