Monday, October 02, 2006

Up the River without a Map

Portland, OR

The good news about having a GPS is that it gives you the confidence to be bold when running in a new city, or running a different route in an old city. The BAD news about having a GPS is that it allows you to be STUPID when running in a new city, or running a different route in an old city.

I wanted to get in a long-ish run. Friends in Portland said that the "new" rails-to-rails path was a 9 mile loop. Perfect. So, I marked the start as a "way-point" and headed clockwise around the loop. At about 2 miles in I was across from where I had started. So far, so good.

It turns out that if you go across at ONE bridge, it is a 9 mile loop. If you go across the bridge that I went across it's an 11 mile loop! I did have the GPS and the river to guide me. But, I wasn't expecting to go 11 miles.

ORN: 11 miles: 2 hours, 35 minutes, R4/W2

No comments: