Monday, June 18, 2007

The Long and the Short of it

This past Saturday I was home again and had a chance to run with the Chicago Endurance Sports team. As I said, most of them are training for either the Chicago Marathon or the Distance Classic, so they are beginning to increase there long runs. Saturday, the group I was running with was schedule to go 7 miles.

I hadn't run 7 miles since last October. The last long run I had done was the same day I had the incident with the car. So, I was a little nervous lining up. It doesn't matter that I've done 45 marathons. When it's time to start going long, we're all rookies.

The bigger question was whether to go out with the Run 5/Walk 1 group or the Run 3/Walk 2 group. I went with the 5/1's last weekend when they ran 5 miles and it was fine, except my back hurt a bit. I opted for the safer choice and went with the 3/2's. They are actually my favorite group every season because they are almost always brand new to running and training and every long run is a personal best.

It took us about an hour and 40 minutes, but I got through it. It wasn't glamorous, but it's done.

Sunday I backed it up with a 5K run using a 5/1 sequence and today I did a 4 1/2 mile trail run using 4/2. The danger right now is that I'm feeling good. It's tempting to think I can go back to a normal training plan, but that would be a big mistake. I'll bicycle tomorrow and do an easy run on Wednesday.

It's time to be smart, not ambitious.

John

1 comment:

Joe said...

Smart, indeed, John. Glad you are moving and the back is gradually healing.

I appreciate your work on the R/W approach. It's been a boon for me.

Waddle on!!