Friday, May 19, 2006

Accountability

I love to run. I used to like to train. Now I love to run, but I'm not all that kicked up about training. For me there's always been a big difference between running and training. You don't need a reason to run. All you do is run. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. You can run 7 days a week, or 3 days a week. It doesn't matter.

Training is - well - training. There's a REASON to run. EVERY time you run. There's a time or a distance, a pace or a purpose, EVERY time you put on your shoes. And that's the part I'm trying to get used to again.

I hate to keep bringing up Goofy, but that was the biggest physical accomplishment of my life. Not record times, but record preparation, record mental toughness, and a record "gut check". And I've got all three medals to prove it. But it wore me out.

So, I've GOT to get in a training program. The only way I'm going to get ready for a 5 hour marathon this fall is to train. Sounds simple. IS simple. I've just got get my head around it.

John

ORN: 40 minutes, 9/1. I wore my Garmin and actually tried to keep track of pace a little bit. If I'm going to get under 5 hours, I'm going to have to do some speed work.

No comments: