Monday, May 01, 2006

On the Road, again

For those of you who have been following along the past month or so, you've got a pretty good idea of what life is like this time of year. There's LOTS of travel, lots of hotel rooms, and LOTS of meeting and greeting people.

This past weekend was the Country Music Marathon and 1/2 Marathon in Nashville. I have a special interest in this event for a couple of reasons. One, I lived in the Nashville area for a number of years, so I know the running community there. And, Tim Murphy [from Elite Racing] and I talked about this race years ago. Just to show you how WRONG I can be, I told him that I didn't think the event would be successful. And I was right for the first few years, but they have it ALL going on now.

They added a 1/2 marathon in 2002 and that has made all the difference. There were 17,000 participants in the HALF and only about 5,000 in the full. That's pretty typical these days when there's a half and full option. To be honest, given the "rolling" nature of the Nashville course, the 1/2 is the BEST choice.

It's a great race. Elite does a wonderful job and the success of the race is evidence of that.

One of the big changes I've made in my running is the "get it in" even if I can't get MUCH in. I was able to run three times over the weekend and that's a first.

I'm home for 3 days [which seems like a lot] and then off to the Indy Mini this weekend.

John

ORN: Thursday, April 27; 50 minutes, 5/1 around Centennial Park in Nashville
ORN: Friday, April 28; 30 minutes, 4/1 PLUS 30 minutes just walking.
ORN: Sunday, April 30: 45 minutes, 4/2 PLUS 30 minutes, walking.

No comments: