Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Home Sweet Home

My body is in the central time zone, but I'm not sure where my brain is. I'm back from London, just in time to get ready to leave for Nashville.

The Flora-London marathon is - simply put - one of the world's GREAT events. And it is an event, make no mistake. There's some racing going on near the front, but for most of the 35,000 participants it's a chance to live out a life's dream.

In case you haven't heard, American Deena Kaster won the women's race in a new American record of 2:19:38. She just looked fantastic as she ran a rock-solid race with dead-even splits. She's amazing. The men's race came down to the finish line sprint with Felix Nemo getting there first.

I got to enjoy the VIP treatment, which is VERY nice. As you would expect from the English it was VERY civilized with a lovely breakfast and then covered grandstand seats at the finish. It would be easy to get spoiled.

But, I did manage to run 4 times so I'm feeling good about keeping up with my training plan.

John

ORN: Saturday, April 22: 60 minutes, 4/2. A nice slow, longer run along the Thames River.
ORN: Sunday, April 23: 0, marathon day
ORN: Monday, April 24: 50 minutes, 5/1; longer loop along the north and south sides of the Thames. I had an 8 1/2 hour flight later that day and I wanted to at least get moving.

No comments: