Tuesday, April 04, 2006

An Historical Day

If anyone had told me - a year ago - what today was going to include I would have said they were out of their minds. My life seemed headed in one direction - running - and the passions of my earlier life - music and motorcycles - were a part of my past, not future.

I spent 30 years as a trombone player. I went through school, the Army, and a career as a professional player. I gave it up in 1985 because an injury, and life, made it very difficult to continue to play.

I spent 40 years as a motorcyclist. I spent my first tax refund on a $200.00 1967 Honda 305 Scambler. I worked in the bike business for 10 years. I've owned over 50 motorcycles. A few years back I sold my last bike and figured that was that.

So, imagine my surprise yesterday when I practiced trombone in the morning and then rode a motorcycle to the gym to get in my run! I know we think life moves forward. But, these days, I am much more convinced that life really is a HUGE circle and that those things that are truly important have a way of finding their way back into our lives. Or we find a way back to them.

John

ORN: 4 miles, treadmill, 5/1

No comments: