Monday, August 21, 2006

7 days make a week

I learned the hard way that keeping track of your mileage in a logbook is a dangerous way to go. If you go Sunday - Saturday you can miss adding long runs on different weekends. If you go Monday-Sunday you're MORE likely to keep all your long runs on the correct week.

But, if you're like me, and have to do a long run in the middle of the week it can get messy. Monday-Sunday of last week I ran 30 miles. OK. But, Tuesday-Monday I ran 32. My body doesn't know what day it is, it only knows that the miles are piling up.

And, if I'm not careful about tomorrow, I could end up having a 35 mile "week" of 7 consecutive days. I'm not sure I'm ready for a 35 mile week yet.

So, I'm reminding myself to take a step back a take a longer look at mileage. And you too!!

ORN: 5 miles, 61 minutes, R5/W1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been injured for a little over a year and found that one of the best things I have done for myself, besides PT and resting is to stop keeping my logbook. As I just now get back into a running routine it's so tempting to start it up again, but I think not, at least for now. About your post on the 19th - I too find myself running alone a lot when I run with groups. It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? You like the camraderie but you don't get much of it because you're a slow runner!

IronWaddler said...

Back to the falling behind--I am always there by myself. That's why I shy away from training programs with groups. But I have added spinning classes to my schedule because i always finish the same time as everyone else.