Sunday, December 10, 2006

A long and interesting day

Whew!

The final Team in Training participant came across the finish line in 12 hours and 8 minutes.

As I had in New York, I got to work with Dr. Lewis Maharam [medical director for NYC, the Elite Racing events, and Team in Training] I figured it would be more of the sore muscles and blisters that we most often see.

But just a few hours into the race we had to respond to a full-on seizure. A young man went down at mile 26 and the next hour or so was just a blur. I got to him about the same time as the EMT's did, ran back and got the Doc, watched them load the guy up on the medical cart, ran with the Doc and Paramedics in front of the cart back to the main medical tent.

Once we got him to the main medical tent a system of doctors and nurses jumped in and just calmly started doing their jobs. They started a IV line, got his vitals, took readings, I don't even know. But, it was impressive. Eventually he was taken to the hospital.

I happened to run in to him tonight [YES!] and he was looking fine. He was released from the hospital after being thoroughly checked out.

He was lucky. Lucky that the race organizers take medical care so seriously, lucky that very professional people were there doing their very well, lucky that he was at mile 26 of a major marathon when this happened and not sitting alone in his room.

Those of us who run don't thank the medical people - and race organizers - enough.

John

2 comments:

Pat said...

I agree. We don't thank the volunteers, medical and support staff nearly enough. I try to thank the volunteers along the course, but the next time I see the medical staff I'll thank them regardless if I needed them at the time.

Thanks and see ya in Phoenix on the 14th.

Pat

Anonymous said...

I can relate John. One of my "runners" from the Minnesota chapter came in at 11:04:00.
Bu you know she was the happiest person because she just completed her first Marathon.

Mike Trudeau, TNT Coach, MN chapter