Saturday, December 16, 2006

Waiting for Winter

This was one of the 5 or 6 Saturday mornings this year that I've been home and one of the 2 or 3 when I din't run with some local training group. It's the end of my year and a time to relax, reflect, and renew. And a time to run.

It was about 40 degrees this morning [5 for my Canadian friends] which is NOT a December temperature in Chicago. With the Antarctica trip now less than 8 weeks away, the truth is I need to get in some cold weather runs. I WANT to get in some cold weather runs.

I didn't take the GPS or iPod or ANYTHING except my running watch with me this morning. I wasn't sure how far I was going to run, I wasn't sure how fast or how long. And I didn't want to keep track.

When I got to the first turn around, which would have gotten me about a 3 mile run I made a choice. I kept going. I'm not sure why, exactly. It just occurred to me that if Winter DOES come it might be months before I can run along the lakefront in 40 degree temperatures.

So I ran. Not so much with any purpose or plan. But just because today I could.

ORN: 5 miles, R5/W1, 62 minutes

No comments: