Thursday, June 16, 2005

Getting into the habit

So, this blogging thing isn't as easy as it looks. First off, you have to remember to do it. I'm not sure how I'm going to remind myself, but I'm going to try.

I'm training for a fall marathon this year. I say training because I'm actually following the Chicago Endurance Sports training program [the Green program to be specific] So often over the past several years I've just run and biked without much of a plan and then popped into a fall marathon. Not this year.

What's odd is that I'm having a difficult time moving into the "training" mode. I guess I've gotten so used to just running and biking for fun [or transportation] that I don't want to give up the freedom to do what I want. Oh well.

With my traveling I do have to modify things some, but I'm committed to staying on the schedule as best I can. Yesterday I did "Yasso 800's" [half mile repeats] I'm doing 4, at 5:00 minutes per repeat with 2:30 recovery. Can't seem to get past 4 just yet.

Off to Anchorage today with Team in Training. More from there tomorrow.

Waddle on, friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. P...I find it somewhat unusual that you are having a difficult time getting into "training mode" since you co-authored "Marathoning for Mortals"...but...on the other hand, I'm glad to hear it, because, I, too have "officially" started your training program to
R/W the MCM in October (my first marathon). This was week 1 & it has been different than my training for halves. My heart hasn't gotten into joyful mode...but I keep going...it's the "fake it until you make it"...& it is difficult, too, because, even though I choose to run, I feel like I have to...
Hopefully for us both (& all other penguins) we can find the joy again as we move forward...one step at a time.
Run strong!!!!! Bess