Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Tight Wire Act/Charity Runners

ORN: 0

This is a funny time. I'm trying to recover through my training, or train through my recovery depending on how you look at it. I'm trying to pay very close attention to the subtle messages my body is sending me. I know I've got to get in the miles, but I've got to get rested enough to have them work.

CHARITY RUNNERS:

This whole Marine Corps Marathon/Jean's Marines controversy is turning into a tempest in a teapot. There's no question that cutting the course is wrong, but this isn't the first time that course cutting has happened. And, it isn't as though some race directors don't tacitly accept that there will be some prudent shaving of the course.

That doesn't make it right. But it does make it true.

The danger, it seems to me, is lumping all "charity runners" into the slow, course-cutting category. The VAST majority of runners - charity and otherwise - train well and show up prepared to complete the distance in the time required.

It may be time for race organizers and the charity groups to sit down and have an honest heart-to-heart talk. Races are all too happy to take the registration dollars from the charity runners, but then seem to forget that they need to accomodate them, fast and slow.

John

2 comments:

IronWaddler said...

I absolutely agree. I am one of those people and the pressure was not raising the money to support the charity but getting across the finish before the course closed and I made it in 6:38 but not in time to have my name in the official results book so my supporters could see that I finished.

Anonymous said...

I'm a walker and encourage races to accept walkers. But when people who can't finish in time, or cut corners, it makes all walkers look bad and adds to the many reasons race directors give for not wanting us.

Train well, whether you are a walker or a runner and finish within the time limits of the course. If you can't do that, don't enter.