Wednesday, March 15, 2006

One wrong step

It's easier to give advice than it is to take your own. I'm as vulnerable to runner's denial as anyone else. It's not a quality that I admire in myself, I just know that it's there.

On Tuesday I took a funny step in the transition between the paved path and the gravel. I felt my ankle twist pretty hard, with enough pain to make me wince. Of course, I didn't stop running. I didn't turn around and go home and ice it. I finished my run.

The ankle was tender - to say the least - on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning it was better, but not what you would call right. So - and here's the runner's denial part - I decided to go to the gym and run on the treadmill just to see if it was OK.

See the problem?? I should have stayed off the foot. I should have given it a day to heal. I should have - but I didn't. I ran 4 miles instead. I got through it - honest, I would have stopped if it had REALLY hurt - but that doesn't make it right!

John

ORN: 4 miles, treadmill, 5/1 in 48 minutes.

No comments: