Monday, March 27, 2006

An uphill battle

I'm trying to increase the number of days that I do something. With the travel schedule it's easy to suddenly discover that I've only had 3 days of running in a given week. I've got to find a way to get some activity in MOST days.

After the hard hill run on Saturday and the long-ish 90 minute run on Sunday, today needed to be a non-impact day. My choice was to hit the treadmill and do some "incline" walking. My focus was on trying to get my heart-rate up to about the same place it is when I do an "easy" run. For me, that's somewhere around 130 bpm.

After a 5 minute warmup, I start with a 0 incline 4 mph pace and then add one degree of incline every minute. Then, I'll go back to zero incline at a 4.2 mph pace and move the incline up every minute. Then, 0 incline at 4.4 mph and so on.

I finished it off with 20 minutes on the stationary bike [hey, the weather has GOT to get warmer some day] and a light weight circuit and steam. Good stuff. I felt much better when it was over than when I started.

John

ORN: 25 minutes "incline" workout on the treadmill. 20 minute "step" workout on the stationary bike. Upper body weights.

No comments: