Monday, July 10, 2006

Music to my ears

I have never been in favor of using headsets while running. In fact, we have specifically prohibited people from wearing them in our races. Not that we really policed it very well, but, as a matter of policy we didn't want people bopping along to ACDC or the Eagles, or whomever they might want to listen to.

All that is changing with the iPod generation. In fact, there are runners who have NEVER run without an iPod. And, in case you haven't heard, Nike has now got a shoe with a device in the sole that communicates your pace and distance THROUGH your iPod. IN FACT, there's a button you can push to get your "power song" in case you are feeling a little down.

I've tried running a few times with a headset and radio, but it always seemed like I was stuck in traffic.

Today, I tried running with my iPod [of course I have one. I have two. An "original" and a "Nano] with a set of Sony "ear buds", those little headset deals that actually go inside your ear. The ones that came with the iPod wouldn't stay in my ears, but these little jewels stuck and stayed put.

I selected "shuffle songs" so that I wouldn't know what was coming next and I just started running. And, I must tell you, I enjoyed it. I was doing a R10/W1 interval and I could listen to a couple of tunes during the run sequence. It made the time fly by.

I won't use the iPod for every run, but, I understand why people use them, and like them.

The times they are a changin'

John

ORN: 5 miles, 60 minutes, R10/W1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to run with my mp3 player all the time before I used it so much that it broke down. Running the marine corps marathon last year I noticed how they really seemed to interfere with people - even though they were prohibited people wore them anyway. It wasn't a problem of course until the occasional hand-crank or wheelchair racer needed to get by and couldn't; I've stopped running with mine completely as a result. It became a huge distraction for me mentally when clearly I really need to focus on my running.

Anonymous said...

And yet, isn't the distraction and problems a matter of the runner's responsibility in volume level, not the fact that something's being listened to?

If I got distracted by the beauty of the landscape, my running would suffer and I might become a pain in the behind to other runners on the course who weren't mooning over it like I was. And yet, no one could ban landscape!

Likewise with roudy crowds (think of the infamous college girls on the Boston Marathon course).

I always make sure that when I'm listening to my iPod the volume is such that I can hear those around me. And the music or podcasts (I love listening to inspiring running stories during a run to keep me going, such as those read on Phedippidations.) or audiobooks (John, are your books recorded yet?!) keep me focused on improving my running instead of allowing my laziness to creep up on me.

Bottom line, I think you can argue either side but it all comes down to responsibility and courtesy.