Sunday, September 25, 2005

Half Marathon

ORN: 13.1 miles, 5/1, 2:38:35

HOLY COW! Did I have a great day. I haven't been under 2:45 in a half marathon in years. I haven't been much in 3 hours in a LONG time, so this was a very pleasant surprise.

This was a "check up" run in advance of the marathon. I wanted to settle in to a comfortable pace and hold it. I came across the first 10K in under 36 minutes - not a good sign. So, I backed it off some and just rode it out.

The race - the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon and Half Marathon - by the way, is a great event and certainly one that you should consider. Toronto is a wonderful international city. Unlike some international cities, the language and the money in Toronto is close enough to the US that is not a big problem.

Anyway, I am VERY pleased and feeling good about my preparations for Chicago.

Waddle on,

John

6 comments:

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Well done!

Anonymous said...

That's GREAT!!! Congratulations on your time and finishing without any problems!

Anonymous said...

congratulations:)

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Now, if I can just do that well in my half....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your half-marathon time!!!

This training towards the Chicago Marathon has been quite something! So many highs and lows. (I wonder if this is usual for you.) Plus seeing the flexibility in the training schedule -- planned and unplanned -- by the person who wrote the book has been a blast. WHAT A RELIEF FOR BUSY MORTALS!!

I would really love to see this training converted into a article (several pages if possible) for Runner's World. There are so many lessons to be gleaned and we are still a couple of weeks away.

Anonymous said...

Don't you mean the first 10K in 56 min? 36 would have put you at under 90 min. overall. That said, I'm glad you had a pleasing race.