Sunday, July 10, 2005

Solo Long Run

ORN: 7/8/05; 60 minutes, city biking.

I make the distinction between "city" biking and getting out somewhere and actually going for a ride. About 30 minutes were on the lakefront path which is more like "read" riding but is still lots of stop and go.

Rode the old mountain bike just to push something a little heavier. Legs are still tired.

ORN: 7/9/05; 10 miles, 4/2 [2:17]

Even though there were plenty of people to run with I chose to run solo today. Some days the idea of running 10 miles alone is more than I can take. Some days, like yesterday, the idea of being able to run for 2 plus hours in peace inside my head is a real gift.

2 hours is the first major threshold in my marathon training. If you're new at this, it may be 1 hour. Emotionally it takes a lot out of me to do that first 2 hour run. And to be honest, I wasn't all that excited about it. I'd love to be able to participate in marathons and not have to do the training, but, it doesn't work that way.

So for me it's a matter of just putting my head down and moving forward. I used 4/2 because I'm much more comfortable at that ratio. I'll probably move to 5/1 for the next long run if I'm feeling fresh.

Managed to get through using only Gatorade. For me, for now, that's the best way to go.

Waddle on, friends.

John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coming off 9 days of vacation...into week 4 of marathon training & have done very little training during this time. Truly needed this time to relax, rejuvinate, & get refocused. During this time, I also quit my job, so, I've got the time to get centered, but...
Glad to see that you struggle, too...& that you are willing to be truthful...it truly is about the mind, isn't it?
I prefer to run most all my distances alone. I start out with the group, but take off by myself...this way, I only have to keep pace with me & not worry about holding up the others, because I do this for me.
Remember the Warrior Penguin!!!!
Bess